Our apartment building on Jumeirah Beach

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

My Cell Phone, My Identity

Another thing I have overlooked is the UAE's campaign to register all UAE cell phone numbers. This has been a requirement for over a year, with several deadlines already passed. According to an SMS I just received, my line will be disconnected if I fail to register within 90 days.

Looks like this will an easy process. I can use my passport OR my Emirates ID (which I still don't have), so no problem there, with many different locations where I can get this done. Unless I forget and leave the country without doing it. Better put it on the calendar.

Tourists don't need to do anything unless they get a UAE cell phone, which should include this registration in the SIM card activation process.

The stated goal of the policy is to protect consumer's rights and confidentiality and to fight fraud. Am I worried about privacy? No, not any more than I would be in the U.S. The systems here, being newer, are probably more protective. I am worried about fraud so anything they can do to prevent fraud is a good thing in my book.




No comments:

Post a Comment